https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery

Click on the image for more information.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Getty Images: Free with Catch

Oh, Copyright. You taunt us again.

Getty Images, one of the giants of the stock photo galleries is now offering free images to non-commercial blogs.

Let me repeat this part. Non-commercial blogs.

I read on Real Lawyers Have Blogs where they concluded that it wouldn't be farfetched for Getty to sue if the blog was used for networking to grow business.

No question that law blogs being used to grow relationships and reputations to grow business could be construed as commercial in nature.

Just like author blogs

Our blogs, regardless whether we discuss chickens, children, or our newest releases are basically networking tools to grow relationships with our readers and SELL our books.

Over the weekend I read tweets about what a boon this new change would be for authors. But I don't think people are looking beyond the rim.

Not only would you have to give credit back to Getty, (which is perfectly fair and reasonable) but you'd also be subjected to those images being changed or deleted at Getty's discretion. There's also talk of them embedding their advertising in the image at a future date. 

Getty controls the embedded art because the actual file stays on their server. You have to use a special code to upload it to your blog.

If this doesn't jade you, PCWorld has provided simple instructions on how to embed Getty's stock into your blog.

I am so paranoid about copyright and copyright infringement, I go to great lengths not to allow any art to appear before it's purchased. I don't want any trouble with the law or with the rightful owner of that copyright.

I don't plan to use Getty. Something tells me their honey pot deal isn't as sweet as they pretend. 

Buyer (and Borrower) Beware.

Will you be using them?


28 comments:

Mike Keyton said...

You have to use a special code to upload it to your blog.

If this doesn't jade you, PCWorld has provided simple instructions on how to embed Getty's stock into your blog.


Enought said. No.

Maria Zannini said...

Mike: My mantra is if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

B.E. Sanderson said...

Nope. Ever since that kerfluffle a while back, I try to only use pics I've taken myself on my blog. Or book cover images when I'm promoting someone's work. Of course, now I want to go back and check again, just in case I screwed up. ;o)

Rebekah Loper said...

Just like the Amtrak Residency... definitely too good to be true. Even if Getty were to clarify further what they mean by 'non-commercial blog', I wouldn't do anything that requires linking to an image on another server. At the very least, a blog author should get to maintain control of the content they choose to feature - whether that's written content, or pictorial.

As for me, I really love Flickr Creative Commons. You can find some wonderful stuff there. And attribution is a clause I'm completely comfortable with!

Angela Brown said...

I would prefer clarification on their definition of Non-commercial blogs before using the images. I mostly try to stick with creative commons pics and make sure to give credit as often as possible.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Hmm...no thanks.

Maria Zannini said...

BE: You mean that big blow up on that author's blog a year or two back? Yeah that was a hard lesson learned for her. I don't mess around with copyright.

Maria Zannini said...

Rebekah: I'm real ticklish about having control of my blog, my phone, and my computer. This is why I avoid Cloud though I imagine eventually Cloud and Cloud-like devices will be the norm and we won't own any of our software outright.

I just don't like not being able to put my hands on actual data or allowing a third party to dictate what I do with that data.

Maria Zannini said...

Angela: I've never tried Creative Commons. I'll have to look into them.

Maria Zannini said...

Jennifer: LOL. Me too.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I won't be using them. I'm using more of my own images or none at all for the most part.

Cate Masters said...

I purchase whatever images I can't make on my own. Getty's rich enough without bankrupting me!

Maria Zannini said...

Susan: I'd rather be safe than sorry. Getty has been pretty sue-happy in the past.

Maria Zannini said...

Cate:
Re: Getty's rich enough without bankrupting me!

LOL. I hear that.

Darke Conteur said...

I've read several blogs for writers that state pictures on blog posts are more attractive to readers. While I don't know about that, I'm not thinking twice about ANY pictures.

Barbara Ann Wright said...

I probably won't be using them. I try to either use pics I've taken, my publisher has given me, or that are listed as free use elsewhere.

Jenny Schwartz said...

I got all excited by Getty, and then, sad. Yeah, I don't think my blog would rate as non-commercial either. Shame.

Maria Zannini said...

Darke: I think it's true. I know for myself, an interesting picture makes me take a second look.

But so far, I prefer to take my own photos, or find free stock art with no additional strings attached.

Maria Zannini said...

Barbara: The bad thing is I sometimes spend more time finding a picture that's truly copyright free than writing the actual post. But that's the tradeoff if you want to do the right thing.

Maria Zannini said...

Jenny: I'm willing to bet Getty will soften their stance on non-commercial after a while.

Let's face it, if they want to sell their stock, we're better candidates than someone who runs a hobby blog.

But until they put that in black and white, I'm in no hurry to jump in--nor do I want to give them access to my blog.

James Garcia Jr. said...

That's a negative, good buddy. I'll leave the art to the experts! :)
How are you, my friend? I'm sorry I've been hidden away in writer's cave, but I just climbed out to see the sun. I'm giving myself a break for awhile as I work on paperbacks. Speaking of which...I'll be contacting you soon.
I hope things are well with you. Take care.

-Jimmy

Shelley Munro said...

I guess they decided to do it this way to cut down on pirated images and control their images a little more. I prefer to post my own photos or purchase pics just to be on the safe side.

Maria Zannini said...

Jimmy: Glad to see you out of the cave! It's been so long, I was afraid you'd start getting pale. :)

Maria Zannini said...

Shelley: Apparently, they were suing so many people it became unmanageable.

I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.

raelynbarclay said...

I've never used Getty before, not sure I'll try now. This sounds a bit like the whole Pintrest copyright mess.

:pulls out 10-foot pole:

Maria Zannini said...

Raelyn: Never having gotten into Pinterest, I wouldn't know, but when it came out, I imagined all sorts of potential problems.

I would've loved to join but I find the copyright issue with them sticky at best.

LD Masterson said...

Fine print and red tape are always waiting to snare the unsuspecting.

Maria Zannini said...

Linda: Sorry Linda, I thought I had responded to everyone.

It's not that I blame Getty for looking out for themselves, but I in turn have a right to decide what appears on my blog--and that especially includes advertising.