In 2012, I resolve to:
• give thoughtful comments both on my blog and yours.
• comment when you have a brand new baby author on your blog because I remember when I was new too.
• remind myself that not everyone is meant for overnight success. Some of us need time to saute gently.
• talk less, listen more.
• worry less about status. Cuz really, in a hundred years, who's gonna care if my book was on the NYT list?
• pet my dogs more and growl at my husband less. (Greg will especially like this one.)
Adopting and almost losing Murray kind of brought things into perspective for me. I am insanely competitive, especially with myself, but nearly losing that little guy made me realize how fragile life is. Selling a book is ridiculously insignificant compared to family and health. If I sell, I sell, but I will no longer beat myself up to meet self-imposed deadlines and sales figures.
From now on, I intend to focus on the things that bring happiness to me and to others. When I die, I want people to remember me for who I was--a good friend who lived every day like it was her last.
Do you think your resolutions have changed over the years?
• Try to have only one near-death experience in this life. That last one was a doozy.